President & Nominee, Arnhem Regional Council
Biography: President Banambi Wunungmurra was elected as a Councillor for the Gumurr Miwatj Ward at the inaugural NT Regional Council elections in 2008. President Wunungmurra was elected unopposed as Council President at the first meeting of the inaugural Council and is currently serving a second term as a Councillor for Gumurr Miwatj Ward and as President of East Arnhem Regional Council.
Mr Wunungmurra’s career has always maintained involvement with the Local Governments over a period of time in many capacities. He has been fostering relationships with local governments since his stint as the Chairperson of the Regional Council through the ATSIC days and being General Manager of a number of Aboriginal organizations.
Mr Wunungmurra played a vital role in launching the Reconciliation Action Plan which is about bringing people together and developing partnerships between people from different communities, backgrounds and organisations, to be a part of the council’s vision of reconciliation.
- Executive Board of Directors. YBE (Yolngu Business Enterprises), Nhulunbuy NT
- Executive Board of Directors. Batchelor Institute, NT
- Chairman - Harmony Mawa Mala. Nhulunbuy, NT
- Board of Directors. Laynhapuy Homelands. Yirrkala, NT
- Board of Directors. Aboriginal Legal Aid ( now known as NAAJA ) NT
- Chairman, Miwatj Legal Service - NT
- Health Regionalisation Co-ordinator. AMSANT. NT Health
- Aboriginal Liaison Officer.
- Chief Ministers Dept, NT Govt.
- Project Officer. Dept of Aboriginal Affairs
- General Manager. Laynhapuy Homelands, Yirrkala NT
- General Manager. Miwatj Health Aboriginal Corp, Nhulunbuy NT
- Regional Council Chairman. (ATSIC - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission)
- Assistant General Manager. YBE (Yolngu Business Enterprises) ,Nhulunbuy NT
- Cultural Liaison Officer. Rio Tinto, Nhulunbuy NT
- Regional President. East Arnhem Regional Council
Background: Banambi attended the Brisbane Theological College, undertaking a 3 year ‘Youth Leadership’ course with the goal of teaching and training younger people to excel in sport. Following his dream of playing in the VFL, he later moved to Melbourne and joined the Geelong Football Club.